Sunday, 22 August 2010

RESTAURANT REVIEW: Amicus Apple


REVIEW
AMICUS APPLE

Before turning up one late Saturday afternoon at Amicus Apple, one could see me doing the festival dance of rushing to the wrong venues, getting the run-around at press offices and, in some cases, seeing some tired acts try too hard. And then, a bird pooped ALL over my arm.

Drinks!


Mere minutes after cleaning myself up (thanks to the napkins provided by nice folks dining outside the National Galleries), I was safely inside relaying the whole poorific ordeal and sipping the kind of cocktail that's dangerously delicious.

The Hollaback Girl (4.95) is a well-shaken mix of 42 Below Kiwi vodka, apple juice, raspberries and Chambord. My fellow diner liked the black raspberry vodka, pomegranate, raspberry and cranberry combination in the Pink Angel (6.50).

There's a set menu on-hand in addition to the al a carte and we each chose from one. My friend had the set menu pairing of a stuffed portobello with lemon and coriander cous cous starter and a main of penne tossed in pesto with roasted vegetables. She was one happy vegetarian; yes, they need love too.

From the a la carte, I go for the battered prawns to start; the coating had the perfect crunch, it's served with a forkfuls of rocket and a sweet chili dipping sauce, although I'd anticipated a mango tequila sauce. For mains, I had an Amicus burger and skinny fries. The pattie was obviously handmade with onions and herbs, and combined with cheddar, fried egg and homemade relish it was all a brilliant mess, the sign of a successful burger.

Puddings did more than tempt and by the time the gooey chocolate cake and raspberry cheesecake were gone, I’d forgotten all about all the crap I’d caught earlier. (K.Smith)

No comments: